Establishment of a National Facilitating Committee and Technical Working Group for conserving dugongs and their habitat (MY2).
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The aim of this project is to review and improve the implementation of the National Plan of Action for Conservation and Management of Dugongs (NPOA) in Malaysia, refine key legislation relevant to the conservation of dugongs and seagrass habitats, and strengthen coordination and cooperation at a national level.
There is an urgent need for a national working committee or national task force on dugong conservation, or a similar body that will enhance collaboration and cooperation with government agencies, universities, NGOs, local communities and other relevant stakeholders to ensure all conservation measures and mitigation plans are fully implemented.
MY2 will address this need by: 1) establishing a National Facilitating Committee; 2) creating a Technical Working Group for the islands of Sibu and Tinggi in Johor State and Lawas of Sarawak State; 3) arranging a national seminar and workshop; and 4) organising training on dugong conservation and habitats involving government agencies, universities, the public and private sectors and NGOs.
Through the implementation of these measures MY2 seeks to: review and improve the implementation of the National Plan of Action for Conservation and Management of Dugong (NPOA of Dugong); improve national and state law, policy and regulation; and ensure the implementation of conservation measures and a mitigation plan in coordination with local communities and various relevant stakeholders.
- Establish and coordinate the National Facilitating Committee for the Conservation of Dugong and their Habitats, involving key ministries, government agencies, universities and NGOs.
- Establish and coordinate technical working groups for the conservation of dugongs and their habitats involving various local government agencies in Sibu and Tinggi Islands (Johor) and Lawas (Sarawak).
- Organise training and a national seminar on the conservation of dugongs and their habitats involving relevant agencies, universities, private sector and NGOs.
- Prepare the final document for improving the national law, policy and regulation at national and state level, and the final document for improving the Dugong NPOA.
- Support the efforts of the other Partners of the Dugong and Seagrass Conservation Project in Malaysia.